4 Ways to Make Sure The Force is With You in 2018
[In case you STILL haven’t seen the movie – don’t worry, no spoilers here].
No doubt one of the most talked-about events of 2017 has been Star Wars: The Last Jedi. If you can, forget about Americans being the laughing stock of the world in the climate change, wellness, political, and other arenas, just for a moment. Let’s embark on an adventure with some Star Wars characters old and new as we round out 2017 and get ready for the new year.
In Star Wars movies, we learn that the force is an energy field between everything. The Jedi use it for good. Hate, aggression, and anger, lead to the dark side, and Sith Lords channel these negative emotions in their attempts to dominate the galaxy. If you look around, the dark side is all too abundantly visible to us now: animal abuse and slaughter, climate denial, the healthcare debate, racism, and above all, the destruction of our life support system. In short, the dark side of the force has seduced us into being our worst selves. The Last Jedi gives us feminine characters in compassionate and powerful roles, and this can help us bring more balance to the force.
Let’s learn from these new Star Wars characters, and Yoda, a timeless sage:
- Yoda: “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – The Phantom Menace.
- We all fear change. We can often feel that change leaves us powerless, especially when that change is happening at the national or international level. We forget that as consumers and voters we have power too: it’s on our plate. Check out how you can end suffering and improve your own wellness and that of the climate, land, water, animals, and the entire planet by changing your diet. You can get started using our plant-based cookbook. The opposite of fear is love, and we must begin with self-love.
- Task: Answer this question: “How might you love yourself unconditionally in 2018?” by visiting an animal sanctuary or shelter and then writing in your journal about how you might extend the compassion you feel for the animals toward yourself.
- Rose: “This is how we win. Not by fighting what we hate, but by saving what we love.” – The Last Jedi.
- Let’s reorient our thoughts, words, and deeds away from what we despise (current U.S. political state of affairs, anyone?) to what we love. Let’s move away from hating ourselves for not doing enough, and toward loving ourselves for doing the best we can. Self-compassion is going to be essential for 2018 and beyond, because we are moving into a time in which kindness and compassion are being recognized for their crucial importance for mental health, productivity, leadership, and success. Focus your thoughts on what you want to create and give to the world. What we think about, we amplify, so let’s think happy thoughts. Ask us how to overcome years of mental conditioning – we’re here to help.
- Task: Write 3 affirmations to manifest the life you want and to help you focus on what you love. Read these twice daily for 3 months and see if you notice a shift in your self-talk.
- Rey: “Something inside me has always been there, but now it’s awake and I need help.” – The Last Jedi.
- If you feel ready to join the movement to end human, animal, and planetary suffering for good – simply ask for help – whether it’s learning how to cook differently, how to set goals, or how to change your daily habits that are holding you back. It’s a sign of true power to ask for help. We can support you, but only IF you’re open to it and ready to start.
- Task: Make a list of the top 3 things you think would make it easier for you to (i) be more true to yourself (ii) eat healthier, and (iii) be less stressed. Start on one of these on yourself or find a friend or coach that can help you.
- Yoda: “No! Try not! Do or do not, there is no try.” – The Empire Strikes Back.
- Master Yoda must be a behavioral scientist – in order to make a change, we must do, not try – lasting change is in action, not only in attitude. If you want to be empowered right now to make a difference, without anyone’s help or any further procrastinating, then do one of the following.
- Task: (i) Enter to win a free coaching session with Alchemus Prime to make 2018 a pivotal year in your growth as a Jedi for a stronger you and a healthier planet, or (ii) give up red meat and dairy, which have known links to cancer and climate destruction.
In order to make it back to Jedi knighthood, we must correct our actions, and 2018 promises to take us back to the light. The shift to plant-based foods has established itself as the most powerful force of 2017, and is poised to become more mainstream in 2018. The vegan force is strong in Hollywood; in the U.S. startup community, including how plant-based meat production is going to ramp up in 2018; in social movements (a special shout out to the Healing America Movement, which is launching on January 20); in supermarkets; and in fast food, just to name a few areas. In the U.K., the demand for meat-free foods saw a staggering 987% jump in 2017!
Despite this strong tide, not everyone is going to become vegan, and research suggests that even a 30% reduction in your meat intake can make a big difference for the planet.
So, how will you use the force to restore love, peace, and happiness to the galaxy and a stable climate and better health to Earth? Share your thoughts and specific commitment for 2018!